Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kyotaro HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: Re: In-core regression tests for replication, cascading, archiving, PITR, etc.
Date: 2016-03-01 12:45:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 5:13 PM, Kyotaro HORIGUCHI
<horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> 0001-Change-behavior-...
>
> Changes of PostmasterNode.pm and TestLib.pm to add some
> features and change a behavior.

+ # Preserve temporary directory for this test if failure
+ $File::Temp::KEEP_ALL = 1 unless Test::More->builder->is_passing;
+1. Having the data folders being removed even in case of a failure is
really annoying.

+ # Preserve temporary directory for this test if failure
+ $File::Temp::KEEP_ALL = 1 unless Test::More->builder->is_passing;
s/if failure/in the event of a failure/?

+ return wantarray ? ($stdout, $stderr) : $stdout;
So you are willing to extend that so as you could perform conparison
tests on the error strings returned. Why no, it looks useful, though
now there is no test in need of it I think. So without a proper need I
think that we could live without.

> 0002-Prefix-test-numbers-to-node-
>
> This is rather a example usage of 0001- patch (except for
> stderr stuff). 00n_xxx test leaves temporary directories with
> the names of 00n_(master|standby)_XXXX on failure. If this is
> considered reasonable, I'll make same patches for the other
> /t/nnn_*.pl tests.

-my $node_master = get_new_node('master');
+my $node_master = get_new_node('001_master');
I am not a fan of appending the test number in the node name. For one,
this complicates the log file name associated with a node by
duplicating the test number in its name. Also, it is possible to
easily get the name of the data folder for a node by looking at the
logs.
--
Michael