Re: What .gitignore files do in the tarball?

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: What .gitignore files do in the tarball?
Date: 2015-11-25 13:40:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Nov 25, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru> wrote:

> I've noticed that source distribution archive of the postgresql contain
> more than hundred of .gitignore files and one .gitattributes.
>
> Is it just a bug nobody bothered to fix, or these files can make
> any sense outside git repository?

They are harmless and do not consume that much space in a tarball, contrary
to .git/ which has the whole history of the repository. And this behavior
matches for example git-archive. Keeping them also has the advantage to
allow people to deploy a tarball easily in an orphan branch of a fresh git
repository. In a couple of companies where people can just work from
tarballs (this exists and I know some), that's actually useful to keep them.
--
Michael