Re: Commit fest 2017-01 will begin soon!

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Commit fest 2017-01 will begin soon!
Date: 2017-01-04 07:02:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 3, 2017 at 8:41 PM, Michael Paquier
> On Mon, Jan 2, 2017 at 2:15 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
> <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I changed the status to "In Progress".
>
> Thanks for covering my absence.

To all hackers,

Commit fest 2017-01 has now officially begun. With this commit fest
included, there are still two sessions to get a new feature included
in Postgres 10.

If you are the author of one or more patches, please don't forget to
review other patches with an equivalent difficulty to balance with the
patches you have submitted.

If you review patches, please coordinate with the author. The worse
that can happen to a patch is that someone is registered as reviewer,
meaning that there is a guarantee that he/she will look at the patch
within the timeframe of the commit fest, but he/she does not show up
at the end. Looking at patches that touch areas of the code that you
are not an expert of is always well appreciated. The challenge is
surely tougher, but you gain confidence and knowledge for your future
work on Postgres core. As for the last commit fest, it is forecasted
that there will be more patches than reviewers, so even if you have
not submitted any patch, of course feel free to look at what is
present.

And of course, don't forget that any input is useful input. Just
looking at a patch and let the user know the following things is
always appreciated. So asking those questions first usually makes the
most sense:
- Does the patch apply cleanly? For example look at if `git diff
--check` complains or not.
- Does the patch include documentation? Does the patch need
documentation or a README?
- Does the patch need, include and pass regression tests?
- Does the patch respect the code format of the project? This portion
of the documentation is useful:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/source.html

Here are now the current stats of the patches:
- Needs review: 82.
- Waiting on Author: 18.
- Ready for Committer: 18.
Meaning that some effort is required from committers and reviewers to
get into a better balance. For the authors of the patches waiting for
their input, please avoid letting your patch in a latent state for too
long.

And of course, please double-check that the status of your patch on
the CF app (https://commitfest.postgresql.org/12/) is set according to
the status of the thread.

Let's have a productive CF for Postgres 10! And the show begins..
Thanks.
--
Michael