Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Allow external recovery_config_directory
Date: 2013-03-27 14:37:54
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 11:26 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> There are also weird edge cases here when the server is promoted. The
> recovery.conf file won't exist any more, but the GUC settings changes
> it contains will live on until the next SIGHUP.

Yes indeed, I forgot that.

The proposal Greg Smith floated previously, which I supported and I
> believe others did as well, was to convert the parameters to GUCs, and
> error out if recovery.conf existed. That way, anyone who is doing it
> wrong (for the new release), gets a clear error message. If we were
> doing that (and I had somehow thought THAT was the consensus), then
> this patch is moot, because you can't set a location for recovery.conf
> if that concept doesn't exist any more. You might need a parameter to
> set the location for the trigger file, perhaps.

I am perfectly fine with this plan, especially the part where server errors
out if recovery.conf is found. It makes clear to the user that it is not
supported
anymore.

I just tried to find some new fresh ideas that would satisfy everybody... So
let's keep up with the plan that Greg proposed and forget what I wrote
previously.
--
Michael