Re: How to create virtual indexes on postgres

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Sreerama Manoj <manoj(dot)sreerama973(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How to create virtual indexes on postgres
Date: 2015-02-26 12:07:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 26, 2015 at 6:20 PM, Sreerama Manoj
<manoj(dot)sreerama973(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> So my question was can we know whether the planner will use the index
> before actually creating a real Index..or can we create "virtual" or
> "Hypothetical" Index those can only be known to the planner and not the user
> or Is there any alternative to do it..If present,share with me.

No, the index needs to be created to allow the planner to use it. This
reminds me of this project though, that if I recall correctly has
patches Postgres to allow the use of hypothetical indexes:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/hypotheticalind/
--
Michael