Re: Confusing recovery message when target not hit

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing recovery message when target not hit
Date: 2016-06-11 12:22:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Jun 11, 2016 at 9:44 AM, Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com> wrote:
> It may be the wrong way of going about it, but you get the idea of what I'm
> suggesting we output instead.

Surely things could be better. So +1 to be more verbose here.

+ if (recoveryStopTime == 0)
+ snprintf(reason, sizeof(reason),
+ "recovery reached consistency before recovery
target time of \"%s\"\n",
+ timestamptz_to_str(recoveryTargetTime));
"Reaching consistency" is not exact for here. I'd rather say "finished
recovery without reaching target blah"

+ if (recoveryStopXid == 0)
Checking for InvalidTransactionId is better here.

And it would be good to initialize recoveryStopTime and
recoveryStopXid as those are set only when a recovery target is
reached.
--
Michael