Re: forward vs backward slashes in msvc build code

From: Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: forward vs backward slashes in msvc build code
Date: 2015-02-15 11:55:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Feb 15, 2015 at 12:51 PM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net> wrote:
> I understand that on Windows, you can use forward slashes in path names
> interchangeably with backward slashes (except possibly in the shell). I
> have developed the attached patch to change the msvc build code to use
> forward slashes consistently. Together with the other attached patch,
> which is an unpolished hack, this allows me to run the build.pl script
> on not-Windows. It won't actually build, but it will create all the
> project files. That way, I can check whether some makefile hackery
> would break the Windows build.

This sounds like a good idea to improve the checks of the scripts of
Windows, like the presence of win32rc files, etc.

> Could someone verify this please?

I tested quickly the second patch with MS 2010 and I am getting a
build failure: chkpass cannot complete because of crypt missing. On
master build passes. More details here:
"C:\Users\mpaquier\git\postgres\pgsql.sln" (default target) (1) ->
"C:\Users\mpaquier\git\postgres\chkpass.vcxproj" (default target) (36) ->
(Link target) ->
chkpass.obj : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol crypt
referenced in function chkpass_in
[C:\Users\ioltas\git\postgres\chkpass.vcxproj]
.\Release\chkpass\chkpass.dll : fatal error LNK1120: 1 unresolved
externals [C:\Users\mpaquier\git\postgres\chkpass.vcxproj]

0 Warning(s)
2 Error(s)

Regards,
--