Re: Commitfest problems

From: David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)ilande(dot)co(dot)uk>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Commitfest problems
Date: 2014-12-16 07:33:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 16 December 2014 at 18:18, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> > Man. You're equating stuff that's not the same. You didn't get your way
> > (and I'm tentatively on your side onthat one) and take that to imply
> > that we don't want more reviewers.
>
> During that thread a couple people said that novice reviewers added no
> value to the review process, and nobody argued with them then. I've
> also been told this to my face at pgCon, and when I've tried organizing
> patch review events. I got the message, which is why I stopped trying
> to get new reviewers.
>
> And frankly: if we're opposed to giving credit to patch reviewers, we're
> opposed to having them.

I'd just like to add something which might be flying below the radar of
more senior people. There are people out there (ike me) working on
PostgreSQL more for the challenge and perhaps the love of the product, who
make absolutely zero money out of it. For these people getting credit where
it's due is very important. I'm pretty happy with this at the moment and I
can't imagine any situation where not crediting reviewers would be
beneficial to anyone.

Regards

David Rowley