dropping an index inside a transaction

From: Andy Chambers <achambers(at)mcna(dot)net>
To: pgsql <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: dropping an index inside a transaction
Date: 2012-03-18 02:37:24
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

If one drops an index inside a transaction, is that index still usable
by other transactions? My use-case is loading millions of records
into a heavily indexed table. I'd like to speed up the load by
temporarily dropping the indices. I'm wondering if I can do this
inside a transaction so that the rest of the application can still
benefit from the indices.

Cheers,
Andy

--