Re: Enabling Checksums

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Ants Aasma <ants(at)cybertec(dot)at>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enabling Checksums
Date: 2013-03-18 05:26:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 5:50 PM, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> On the testing front, we've seen on-list interest in this feature from
> companies like Heroku and Enova, who both have some resources and practice
> to help testing too. Heroku can spin up test instances with workloads any
> number of ways. Enova can make a Londiste standby with checksums turned on
> to hit it with a logical replicated workload, while the master stays
> un-checksummed.

I was thinking about turning checksums on for all new databases as
long as I am able to turn them off easily, per my message prior:
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAAZKuFZzA+aw8ZL4F_5C8T8ZHRtJo3cM1aJQddGLQCpEz_3-kQ@mail.gmail.com.
An unstated assumption here was that I could apply the patch to 9.2
with some work. It seems the revitalized interest in the patch has
raised a couple of issues on inspection that have yet to be resolved,
so before moving I'd prefer to wait for a quiescence in the patch's
evolution, as
was the case for some time even after review.

However, if we want to just hit 9.3dev with a bunch of synthetic
traffic, that's probably doable also, and in some ways easier (or at
least less risky).

--
fdr