Re: HTTP Frontend? (and a brief thought on materialized views)

From: Daniel Farina <daniel(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Dobes Vandermeer <dobesv(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: HTTP Frontend? (and a brief thought on materialized views)
Date: 2012-03-30 01:36:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Dobes Vandermeer <dobesv(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> 2. You might find htsql <http://htsql.org/> interesting.
>

> As a reference, or should we just bundle / integrate that with PostgreSQL
> somehow?

It's a totally different language layer without wide-spread popularity
and, as of last year, still figuring out how to model updates and
transactions, with a Python dependency. It is good work, but to build
it in and to commit maintaining it seems very premature, to my eyes.
Also, it would tie someone -- possibly the htsql maintainers -- to a
upgrade and maintenance policy not unlike Postgres itself, and that is
a very expensive proposition while they are still figuring things out.

--
fdr