From: avpro avpro <avprowebeden(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2014-02-15 11:18:12
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Hello all,

In postgresql 9.3 using pgAdmin, I created a table for my application
developed in Qt Creator.
the table contains:
idstudent - pk
name
country
town
street

I would like to import a csv file containing all the info about these
students. The file was saved/encoded in excel with UTF8 characters.

When I'm importing my file in psql, using the encoding UTF8, I receive the
following error for each character not recognized:
"error: invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": ... " followed by the
character code

I tried to import the file using SQL_ASCII, I got similar errors.
I tried to import the file using MULE_INTERNAL and it worked, but the
characters not recognized are not shown correct in pdAdmin and in my
application when query is executed. For example after I imported the file
with LATIN1 all unrecognized characters were replaced with "?".

Any suggestion what encoding shall I use to display the characters
correctly?

note: the student's names and addresses are written using characters from
North Europe, Eastern EU, Russia, South America, Asia, etc. everywhere.

Thank you for your input.

  • Re: at 2014-02-15 12:17:46 from Gerald Cheves
  • Re: at 2014-02-15 15:30:09 from Adrian Klaver