Re: Remove the comment on the countereffectiveness of large shared_buffers on Windows

From: amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove the comment on the countereffectiveness of large shared_buffers on Windows
Date: 2016-11-03 09:49:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi Takayuki-san,

IMHO, I think we could remove third paragraph completely and
generalised starting of second paragraph, somewhat looks likes as
follow:

<para>
- If you have a dedicated database server with 1GB or more of RAM, a
- reasonable starting value for <varname>shared_buffers</varname> is 25%
- of the memory in your system. There are some workloads where even
+ A reasonable starting value for
<varname>shared_buffers</varname> is 25%
+ of the RAM in your system. There are some workloads where even
large settings for <varname>shared_buffers</varname> are effective, but
because <productname>PostgreSQL</productname> also relies on the
operating system cache, it is unlikely that an allocation of more than

I may be wrong here, would like know your and/or community's thought
on this. Thanks.

Regards,
Amul Sul

The new status of this patch is: Waiting on Author