Re: 9.5 release notes

From: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.5 release notes
Date: 2015-06-11 04:50:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 9:45 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> I have committed the first draft of the 9.5 release notes. You can view
> the output here:
>
> http://momjian.us/pgsql_docs/release-9-5.html

Thanks for writing the Release notes.

Some comments:

Have pg_basebackup use a tablespace mapping file, to allow for file paths
of 100+ characters in length

I think this is not completely correct. This is mainly done to allow
usage of tar format in Windows when tablespaces are present
in database, although we have eventually done it for both
Windows and Linux in the same way. So how about:

Have pg_basebackup use a tablespace mapping file, to allow usage of tar
format
consistently across all platforms

Also shall we mention about below in Migrations to 9.5 section

"pg_basebackup will not not work in tar mode against 9.4 and older servers,
as we have introduced a new protocol option in that mode."

With Regards,
Amit Kapila.