Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE/IGNORE 4.0

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, hlinnaka <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: INSERT ... ON CONFLICT UPDATE/IGNORE 4.0
Date: 2015-05-20 16:44:05
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

On 8 May 2015 at 16:03, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> So I've committed the patch yesterday evening. I'm pretty sure there'll
> be some more minor things to change. But overall I feel good about the
> current state.
>
> It'd be quite helpful if others could read the docs, specifically for
> insert, and comment whether they're understandable. I've spent a fair
> amount of time trying to make them somewhat simpler, but I do think I
> only succeeded partially. And there's also my own brand of english to
> consider ;)

The docs say "Note that exclusion constraints are not supported with
ON CONFLICT DO UPDATE."

But I get the following error message text:

"ERROR: there is no unique or exclusion constraint matching the ON
CONFLICT specification"

This implies that an exclusion constraint is valid in the statement,
which contradicts the docs. Which one is correct?

--
Thom