Re: logical changeset generation v6.1

From: Thom Brown <thom(at)linux(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: logical changeset generation v6.1
Date: 2013-09-27 15:35:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 27 September 2013 16:14, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Attached you can find an updated version of the series taking in some of
> the review comments (the others are queued, not ignored), including:
> * split of things from the big "Introduce wal decoding via ..." patch
> * fix the bug Steve notice where CreateLogicalDecodingContext was passed
> the wrong is_init = false where it should have been true
> * A number of smaller bugs I noticed while reviewing
> * Renaming of some variables, including guaranteedlyLogged ;)
> * Comment improvements in decode.c
> * rename pg_receivellog to pg_recvlogical
>
> I'll work more on the other points in the next days, so far they are
> clear of other big stuff.
>

> 0001 wal_decoding: Allow walsender's to connect to a specific database
> - as before
>
> 0002 wal_decoding: Log xl_running_xact's at a higher frequency than checkpoints are done
> - as before
>
> 0003 wal_decoding: Add information about a tables primary key to struct RelationData
> - as before
>
> 0004 wal_decoding: Add wal_level = logical and log data required for logical decoding
> - splitof patch that contains the wal format changes including the
> addition of a new wal_level option
>
> 0005 wal_decoding: Add option to treat additional tables as catalog tables
> - Option to treat user defined table as a catalog table which means it
> can be accessed during logical decoding from an output plugin
>
> 0006 wal_decoding: Introduce wal decoding via catalog timetravel
> - The guts of changeset extraction, without a user interface
>
> 0007 wal_decoding: logical changeset extraction walsender interface
> - splitof patch containing the walsender changes, which allow to receive
> the changeset data in a streaming fashion, supporting sync rep and
> such fancy things
>
> 0008 wal_decoding: Only peg the xmin horizon for catalog tables during logical decoding
> - splitof optimization which reduces the pain 06 introduces by pegging
> the xmin horizon to the smallest of the logical decoding slots. Now
> it's pegged differently for data tables than from catalog tables
>
> 0009 wal_decoding: test_decoding: Add a simple decoding module in contrib
> - Example output plugin which is also used in tests
>
> 0010 wal_decoding: pg_recvlogical: Introduce pg_receivexlog equivalent for logical changes
> - renamed client for the walsender interface
>
> 0011 wal_decoding: test_logical_decoding: Add extension for easier testing of logical decoding
> - SQL SRF to get data from a decoding slot, also used as a vehicle for
> tests
>
> 0012 wal_decoding: design document v2.4 and snapshot building design doc v0.5

I'm encountering a make error:

install pg_basebackup '/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/pg_basebackup'
install pg_receivexlog '/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/pg_receivexlog'
install pg_recvlogical(X) '/home/thom/Development/psql/bin/pg_receivellog'
/bin/dash: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
make[3]: *** [install] Error 2
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/home/thom/Development/postgresql/src/bin/pg_basebackup'
make[2]: *** [install-pg_basebackup-recurse] Error 2

Thom