big database resulting in small dump

From: Ilya Ivanov <forn(at)ngs(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: big database resulting in small dump
Date: 2012-07-20 18:05:55
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a 8.4 database (installed on ubuntu 10.04 x86_64). It holds Zabbix
database. The database on disk takes 10Gb. SQL dump takes only 2Gb. I've
gone through
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2008-08/msg00316.php and got
some hints. Naturally, the biggest table is history (the second biggest is
history_uint. Together they make about 95% of total size). I've tried to
perform CLUSTER on it, but seemed to be taking forever (3 hours and still
not completed). So I cancelled it and went with database drop and restore.
It resulted in database taking up 6.4Gb instead of 10Gb. This is a good
improvement, but still isn't quite what I expect. I would appreciate some
clarification.