Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft

From: John Wang <johncwang(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Help me improve the 9.1 release draft
Date: 2011-08-25 18:27:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I'm still learning about this feature but wanted to put up some information
for discussion.

In the official Pg press release, the feature is still called "Per-Column
Collations." Is this common enough of a term that people will know what
benefit they will derive? As a counterpoint, Oracle has a chapter in their
Globalization (G11n) guide titled "Linguistic Sorting" which goes into
detail on how linguistic sorting is done; however, it only mentions
"collated" once. Is this a valid comparison?

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10500_01/server.920/a96529/ch4.htm#1008649

The guide talks about both monolingual and multilingual linguistic sorts.
Sorting on Unicode is considered monolingual. Language-specific sorting is
available as both mono- and multilingual. Multilingual sorting (e.g.
FRENCH_M vs FRENCH) uses the ISO 14651 multilingual standard.

From the discussion, my impression is that the Pg feature provides
monolingual, language/locale-specific (non-Unicode) sorting. Is any other
benefit provided?

So two items:

(1) Would the feature be better listed as "Per-Column Collations" or
"Linguistic Sorting"

(2) Is the primary benefit monolingual, language/locale-specific sorting.

John