Re: BUG #16123: DST not respected for America/Sao_Paulo in `timestamp` function

From: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: BUG #16123: DST not respected for America/Sao_Paulo in `timestamp` function
Date: 2019-11-18 06:51:29
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 6:38 PM PG Bug reporting form
<noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:

> Bug reference: 16123
> Logged by: Thushara Wijeratna
> Email address: thushw(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 11.5
> Operating system: MacOS (Mojave)
>
> maestro_development=# select timestamp with time zone '2019-12-01T02:00:00Z'
> at time zone 'America/Sao_Paulo';
> timezone
> ---------------------
> 2019-11-30 23:00:00
> (1 row)
>
> From Nov 3, America/Sao_Paulo should be offset only 2 hours from UTC due to
> DTS. I would expect the timestamp to be December 1st midnight.
>
> https://www.travelmath.com/time-zone/America/Sao_Paulo

I was going to reply with some details about how to find out whether
you're using timezone data files from PostgreSQL or macOS, and how to
make sure they're up-to-date in both cases, but now I see that my
computer (which has up-to-date tzdata) agrees with yours, and
Wikipedia claims that DST was cancelled this year by presidential
decree. Why do you think it's wrong?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Brazil