Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Bráulio Bhavamitra <brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Columnar store as default for PostgreSQL 10?
Date: 2016-04-21 11:01:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Bráulio:

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 12:08 PM, Bráulio Bhavamitra
<brauliobo(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> And what I keep reading all over the web is many databases switching to
> columnar store (RedShift, Cassandra, cstore_fdw, etc) and having great
> performance on queries in general and giant boosts with big analytics
> queries.

And have you read anything about the drawbacks of columnar? They are
there, but writing about them does not makes the headlines.

> I wonder if there is any plans to move postgresql entirely to a columnar
> store (or at least make it an option), maybe for version 10?

An option may be good ( may, not sure because nothing is free. More
complex code, more bug surface, some time will be eaten managing the
extra complexity, less developer time available for each feature, ...
) , but IMHO a complete move would be bad. Columnar is not that good
for a lot of postgres usages. If columnar were the silver bullet
everybody would be doing it.

Francisco Olarte.