Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL

From: Francisco Olarte <folarte(at)peoplecall(dot)com>
To: Benedict Holland <benedict(dot)m(dot)holland(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POSTGRES/MYSQL
Date: 2019-03-12 16:07:47
Lists: pgsql-general

Benedict:

On Tue, Mar 12, 2019 at 4:56 PM Benedict Holland
<benedict(dot)m(dot)holland(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> When you create a table in a transaction, it will commit the transaction and prevent a rollback. MySQL is not ACID.

And when you call COMMIT in postgres it will commit and prevent a rollback.

This does not mean MySQL is not ACID, it means DDL cannot be transactioned.

It is, in fact, one of the reasons why I do not use MySql, but I think
InnoDb and friends are ACID, and the problem is the system catalogs
were Isam an not transactioned.

And, If I remember correctly, one of the features Oracle announced for
8.0 was transactional DDL ( althought not sure if it can be mixed with
other things in a transaction, these things are hairy due to the
multiple storage engines normally involved in a single mysql instance
). But I'm not going to test it.

regards.
Francisco Olarte.