Re: Getting to 9.3 beta

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Getting to 9.3 beta
Date: 2013-04-02 21:02:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 29 March 2013 15:05, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> Our final 9.3 commit-fest has has exceeded the two-month mark, so it is
>> time to start targeting a date to close it and get to 9.3 beta. I see
>> 25 items will needing attention before we can close it:
>
>> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view?id=17
>
>> What is a reasonable timeframe to target for completion of these items?
>
> TBH, once Andrew commits the JSON patch, I wouldn't have a problem with
> moving all the rest to Returned With Feedback or the next CF. None of
> the others seem to me to be close-to-committable (with the possible
> exception of the Max LSN patch, which I've not looked at), and April is
> not the time to be doing development.

Agreed

I completely agree with the need to end this CF here/now/soon. As
someone who has normally tried to stretch the limit on what is
possible, I do recognise the need for this to come to an end.
(Certainly my own available time is running out.)

Thanks very much to everybody that tried to get so much into the release.

> Next week is going to be tied up with the back-branch releases, but
> maybe we could target beta for the week after? The main gating factor
> at this point really would be how quickly we could write some draft
> release notes, so people know what to test.

I think we probably need a little more time for open items discussion
and lists (not more feature commits, just docs and
I-said-I'd-change-thats). In the past that has taken a couple of weeks
to work through, so I'd guess there's a few things to sort out there.

So I suggest about 23 April for Beta1.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/