Re: Can someone help explain what's going on from the attached logs?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Samuel Hwang <samuel(at)replicon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can someone help explain what's going on from the attached logs?
Date: 2011-10-25 07:31:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 18, 2011 at 6:39 PM, Samuel Hwang <samuel(at)replicon(dot)com> wrote:

> The log is getting from PostgreSQL 9.0.4
> Basically we set up streaming replication hot-standby slave while master is
> under heavy load
> The slave started but not accepting read-only queries,
> every request will trigger the "FATAL:  the database system is starting up"
> error.
>
> The slave will eventually be able to accept read-only queries after the load
> on master is removed.
> We don't see the same problem if we set up hot-standby slave while master is
> not under heavy load.
>
> the logs follow:

> 2011-10-18 10:34:06 MDT [17570]: [13-1] LOG:  consistent state delayed
> because recovery snapshot incomplete

Caveat #2 applies here
http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/hot-standby.html#HOT-STANDBY-CAVEATS

The consistent state is delayed until your long running transactions
end, which is workload dependent but transient.

It's possible we will find another way of doing this in a future release.

Until then, I suggest starting base backup to create the standby when
not running both long transactions and transactions with many
subtransactions.