Re: Can pg_dump make use of CURRENT/SESSION_USER

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fabrízio Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can pg_dump make use of CURRENT/SESSION_USER
Date: 2015-04-28 12:38:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Apr 25, 2015 at 8:05 AM, Fabrízio de Royes Mello
<fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>> > I think it's simple to implement, but how about pg_dump... we need to
>> > add
>> > new option (like --use-current-database) or am I missing something ?
>>
>> I think we'd just change it to use the new syntax, full stop. I see
>> no need for an option.
>
> I'm returning on this...
>
> What's the reasonable syntaxes?
>
> COMMENT ON CURRENT DATABASE IS 'text';
>
> or
>
> COMMENT ON DATABASE { CURRENT_DATABASE | object_name } IS 'text';

The second one would require making CURRENT_DATABASE a reserved
keyword, and I'm not keen to create any more of those. I like the
first one. The other alternative that may be worth considering is:

COMMENT ON CURRENT_DATABASE IS 'text';

That doesn't require making CURRENT_DATABASE a reserved keyword, but
it does require making it a keyword, and it doesn't look very SQL-ish.
Still, we have a bunch of other CURRENT_FOO keywords.

But I'm inclined to stick with your first proposal.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company