Re: Bug #6593, extensions, and proposed new patch policy

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>
Subject: Re: Bug #6593, extensions, and proposed new patch policy
Date: 2012-04-19 01:10:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 7:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> However, ignoring that issue for the moment, this patch is making me
> uncomfortable.  I have a vague recollection that we deliberately omitted
> ALTER EXTENSION OWNER because of security or definitional worries.
> (Dimitri, does that ring any bells?)  I wonder whether we should insist
> that the new owner be a superuser, as the original owner must have been.

Don't we have non-superuser extensions, that can be installed with
just DBA privileges?

Anyhow, it seems a bit nannyish, unless I'm missing something. If the
current owner is a superuser and s/he wants to give the object to a
non-superuser, you can't really stop them. They can just make the
target user a superuser, give 'em the object, and make them not a
superuser, all in one transaction no less.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company