Re: Abbreviated keys for text cost model fix

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Abbreviated keys for text cost model fix
Date: 2015-04-03 12:49:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 7:44 PM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Tomas Vondra
> <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> Are you going to add this into the CF? Would be nice to get this into
>> 9.5. Strictly speaking it should go to 2015-06 I guess, but I'd consider
>> it part of one of the existing sortsupport patches.
>
> It's a bugfix, IMV. I guess I should add it to the current CF, but I
> think I might be forbidden from doing so as a non-CF-manager...

Committed. For future reference, I'd prefer to have things like this
added to the next CF rather than no CF at all.

I'm not sure if you've got all the details right here, but the concept
makes sense to me: if we're going to give up, we should do it early.
Doing it later throws away more work and is therefore riskier.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company