Re: More work on SortSupport for text - strcoll() and strxfrm() caching

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: More work on SortSupport for text - strcoll() and strxfrm() caching
Date: 2015-10-06 20:07:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Oct 4, 2015 at 2:17 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 4, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Some comments:
>
> I attach a new version of the patch series that incorporates all your
> feedback. The patch series is now made cumulative in a way that makes
> it easy for someone to independently commit the unsigned integer
> comparison optimization for text, and nothing else. The macro that
> uses is in a dedicated header now, because I have another patch
> (SortSupport for the UUID type) that uses the same optimization for
> the same reason. It seems like something that will probably end up
> with a third or forth client before too long, so I think the byte swap
> macro wrapper belongs in sortsupport.h.

Reviewing 0001, I'm happy to see us add bswap64, but I'm not sure we
should put it in c.h, because that's included by absolutely
everything. How about putting it in a new #include inside src/port,
like src/port/pg_bswap.h? Then pg_crc.h can include that, but other
things can, too.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company