Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Subject: Re: regular logging of checkpoint progress
Date: 2011-09-06 02:48:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net> wrote:
> Taking into account Noah's and Greg's "Displaying accumulated autovacuum
> cost" patch is also sending to logs, do we all now agree that this is proper
> way?

My general impression of the thread is that nobody really wants to
reject the patch (because we all know that we need a lot more logging
options than we currently have) but at the same time nobody seems
quite certain why someone would want to look at this precise bit of
information.

I mean, it's already possible to get log messages at the start and end
of a checkpoint, so there's no problem with finding out whether a
checkpoint was in progress at the time something was slow. In fact,
you can even figure out which phase of the checkpoint you were in.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company