Re: 2016-01 Commitfest

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 2016-01 Commitfest
Date: 2016-01-25 18:57:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> We still have 41 patches that haven't gotten enough review though. The
> bad part about it is that there's a number of patches that have been
> bouncing for many commitfests now. Here's a list of the patches with
> the most such actions (both in Needs Review and Ready for Committer
> state):
>
> Five "Moved to next commitfest"
> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/49/
> Default Roles

This patch has gotten some feedback relatively recently, specifically
to question whether we want it. I think it's fair to say that the
reaction to this proposal has never been cold nor more than lukewarm.

> Four "Moved to next commitfest"
> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/129/
> Unique Joins

I've been hoping Tom would pick this up. If he doesn't, I will look
at it eventually, but it's not on my top 20 list of things to get
committed at this point. I think it's worthwhile, but I just don't
have the bandwidth.

> Three "Moved to next commitfest"
> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/169/
> postgres_fdw: Options to set fetch_size at the server and table level.

Just reviewed that.

> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/180/
> Atomic commit support for foreign data wrappers

I think this needs considerably more work, but it probably needs a
series of detailed reviews first. There's also some question about
how this fits into the distributed transaction manager work by the
Postgres Pro guys.

> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/189/
> extends pgbench expressions with functions

I looked at this in the past and felt that the design was not good.
It's been revised since then, but I haven't gotten back around to look
at it again. I think this has gotten a fair amount of discussion but
I'm not sure we've converged on something really solid yet.

> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/210/
> improving join estimates using FK

This thread seems to end with some author-reviewer discussion that petered out.

> * https://commitfest.postgresql.org/8/260/
> checkpoint continuous flushing

Andres FTW.

--