Re: Page Checksums

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Page Checksums
Date: 2011-12-19 19:29:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Dec 19, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Kevin Grittner
> It seems to me that on a typical production system you would
> probably have zero or one such page per OS crash, with zero being
> far more likely than one.  If we can get that one fixed (if it
> exists) before enough time has elapsed for everyone to forget the OS
> crash, the idea that we would be scaring the users and negatively
> affecting the perception of reliability seems far-fetched.

The problem is that you can't "fix" them. If you come to a page with
a bad CRC, you only have two choices: take it seriously, or don't. If
you take it seriously, then you're complaining about something that
may be completely benign. If you don't take it seriously, then you're
ignoring something that may be a sign of data corruption.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company