Re: boolean and bool in documentation

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: boolean and bool in documentation
Date: 2019-02-22 15:26:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Feb 21, 2019 at 7:31 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> FWIW, I'm not excited about this. We accept "bool" and "boolean"
> interchangeably, and it does not seem like an improvement for the
> docs to use only one form. By that argument, somebody should go
> through the docs and nuke every usage of "::" in favor of
> SQL-standard CAST(...) notation, every usage of "float8"
> in favor of DOUBLE PRECISION, every usage of "timestamptz" in
> favor of the long form, etc etc.

I'm not terribly excited about it either, but mostly because it seems
like a lot of churn for a minimal gain, and it'll be consistent for
about 6 months before somebody re-introduces a conflicting usage. I
do not, on the other hand, believe that there's no point in being
consistent about anything unless we're consistent about everything;
that's a straw man.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company