Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>
Cc: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Separating bgwriter and checkpointer
Date: 2011-09-20 16:20:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 11:01 AM, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 01:53, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
>> This patch splits bgwriter into 2 processes: checkpointer and
>> bgwriter, seeking to avoid contentious changes. Additional changes are
>> expected in this release to build upon these changes for both new
>> processes, though this patch stands on its own as both a performance
>> vehicle and in some ways a refcatoring to simplify the code.
>
> While you're already splitting up bgwriter, could there be any benefit
> to spawning a separate bgwriter process for each tablespace?
>
> If your database has one tablespace on a fast I/O system and another
> on a slow one, the slow tablespace would also bog down background
> writing for the fast tablespace. But I don't know whether that's
> really a problem or not.

I doubt it. Most of the time the writes are going to be absorbed by
the OS write cache anyway.

I think there's probably more performance to be squeezed out of the
background writer, but maybe not that exact thing, and in any case it
seems like material for a separate patch.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company