Re: basic pgbench runs with various performance-related patches

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: basic pgbench runs with various performance-related patches
Date: 2012-01-23 15:49:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 10:35 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> freelist_ok was a prototype for testing/discussion, which contained an
> arguable heuristic. I guess that means its also "in play", but I
> wasn't thinking we'd be able to assemble clear evidence for 9.2.

OK, that one is still in the test runs I am doing right now, but I
will drop it from future batches to save time and energy that can be
better spent on things we have a chance of getting done for 9.2.

> The other patches have clearer and specific roles without heuristics
> (mostly), so are at least viable for 9.2, though still requiring
> agreement.

I think we must also drop removebufmgrfreelist-v1 from consideration,
unless you want to go over it some more and try to figure out a fix
for whatever caused it to crap out on these tests. IIUC, that
corresponds to this CommitFest entry:

Whatever is wrong must be something that happens pretty darn
infrequently, since it only happened on one test run out of 54, which
also means that if you do want to pursue that one we'll have to go
over it pretty darn carefully to make sure that we've fixed that issue
and don't have any others. I have to admit my personal preference is
for postponing that one to 9.3 anyway, since there are some related
issues I'd like to experiment with. But let me know how you'd like to
proceed.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company