Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
Cc: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Review of: explain / allow collecting row counts without timing info
Date: 2012-02-03 17:28:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz> wrote:
> I don't think changing the EXPLAIN syntax this way is a good idea. I think
> that one option should not silently enable/disable others, so ROWS should
> not enable ANALYZE automatically.

I didn't propose that. The point is that the desired behavior
(however we name it) is a SUBSET of what ANALYZE does.

So we can either:

1. Have ANALYZE enable all the behavior, and have another option
(TIMING) that can be used to turn some of it back on again.

2. Have ANALYZE enable all the behavior, and have another option
(ROWS) that enables just the subset of it that we want.

I prefer #2 to #1, because I think it's a bit confusing to have an
option whose effect is to partially disable another option. YMMV, of
course.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company