Re: [HACKERS] register creation date of table

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] register creation date of table
Date: 2011-10-15 10:51:35
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:20 AM, Willy-Bas Loos <willybas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> 1. I think that there is no such information in the system tables. is
> that correct?

Yes. It's been discussed before but some people (particularly, Tom,
IIRC) are not convinced that it's useful enough to justify its
existence.

> 2. i would like to go back in time. I think that i will just look up
> the creation date for the files in the data directory and translate
> their oid's to the object names and then update their dates. This
> would of course only work from the last restore. Is that a good way to
> do it?

Well, that timestamp will get bumped on TRUNCATE, CLUSTER, VACUUM
FULL, and rewriting versions of ALTER TABLE.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company