Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Joel Jacobson <joel(at)trustly(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: The missing pg_get_*def functions
Date: 2013-04-30 01:38:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Apr 29, 2013 at 7:58 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> The long and the short of it here is that there isn't any very good
> reason to migrate any of the existing pg_dump-side functionality into
> server-side functions, ....

There are a number of good reasons to do just that, which have been
previously discussed.

> and especially not server-side functions that
> aren't in C.

+1.

> One of the things that we frequently recommend when doing
> upgrades is that you do the dump with the newer version's pg_dump, so
> as to get the benefits of any bug fixes that are in it. The more
> dump functionality is on the server side, the less opportunity we have
> to repair things that way.

But why wouldn't we be able to fix the version in the server, if it
turns out to be buggy? I suppose we wouldn't fix bugs discovered
after EOL, but I'm not sure that's a sufficient objection.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company