Re: Re: Add minor version to v3 protocol to allow changes without breaking backwards compatibility

From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de>
Cc: Ants Aasma <ants(dot)aasma(at)eesti(dot)ee>, Mikko Tiihonen <mikko(dot)tiihonen(at)nitorcreations(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Re: Add minor version to v3 protocol to allow changes without breaking backwards compatibility
Date: 2012-01-23 14:25:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 4:03 AM, Florian Weimer <fweimer(at)bfk(dot)de> wrote:
> * Ants Aasma:
>> I had a run in with this. JDBC driver versions < 9.0 with the default
>> configuration resulted in silent data corruption. The fix was easy, but not
>> having an useful error was what really bothered me.
>
> Same for the DBD::Pg driver.
>
> In this particular case, I knew that the change was coming and could
> push updated Java and Perl client libraries well before the server-side
> change hit our internal repository, but I really don't want to have to
> pay attention to such details.

But if we *don't* turn this on by default, then chances are very good
that it will get much less use. That doesn't seem good either. If
it's important enough to do it at all, then IMHO it's important enough
for it to be turned on by default. We have never made any guarantee
that the binary format won't change from release to release.

--
Robert Haas
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company