Re: Patch for EDB binary path not set by default.

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
To: Dinesh Kumar <dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for EDB binary path not set by default.
Date: 2013-10-11 13:35:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 2:12 PM, Dinesh Kumar
<dinesh(dot)kumar(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>wrote:

> Hi Dave/Team,
>
> When we install a 32-bit pgAdmin-III in a windows 64-bit machine, which is
> already having the 64-bit EnterpriseDB database installed, then EDB binary
> path not set to by default.
>
> Further to my observation, below is the mechanism how the pgAdmin looks
> for the PPAS binary path.
>
> A) Read the settings.ini for the entry "EnterpriseDBPath" and get the
> value.
>
> B) Read the "EnterpriseDBPath" as a key in the registries. If the key is
> not found, then create one key and assign the value of settings.ini file.
>
> C) If the registry is found, and still the value of "EnterpriseDBPath" is
> null, then we are checking the %PATH% which will be having the
> "pg_dump.exe" file and it's a type of "EnterpriseDB".
>
> D) If we don't find any "pg_dump.exe" edb version, then we go for the
> default locations to search for the edb version.
>
> I have verified the above A, B and C cases, and those are working fine in
> a 64-bit machine. But the case D is not working as expected in a 64-bit
> machine. Hence, would like to submit a patch for this case.
>
> Kindly let me know your inputs on this patch.

I don't think you can do it that way - what if the directory name doesn't
end in "(x86)"? You can configure Windows to use any arbitrary directory
for the Program Files folders. I suspect you'll need to use a preprocessor
macro to handle the 32 vs. 64 bit cases accordingly.

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company