Re: [BUG?] Missing OID column from pl/pgsql record

From: "Saul, Jean Paolo" <paolo(dot)saul(at)verizonconnect(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [BUG?] Missing OID column from pl/pgsql record
Date: 2019-07-16 03:44:32
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hi Tom,

First off, thanks for the reply and all the hard work the PostgreSQL team
does.
Yes we are aware that OID is being demoted on PG12.

The fix on our end is trivial, just unexpected. It's a bit more obvious now
why there would not be a release note info for this.
From your answer, as I understand, transmitting the system columns
implicitly was an unintended feature in the first place, and we should not
have relied on this.

Kind regards,

Paolo Saul

On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 at 14:50, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> "Saul, Jean Paolo" <paolo(dot)saul(at)verizonconnect(dot)com> writes:
> > We recently upgraded to PostgreSQL 11. We have discovered an undocumented
> > (or well-hidden) new behavior in pl/pgSQL.
> > SELECT * INTO record variable does not include the OID column any more.
> All
> > other system columns are still stored in the record variable.
>
> Hmmm. TBH I think it's quite an accidental implementation artifact that
> any of the underlying table's system columns get transmitted into the
> record variable. It seems to happen only if you write exactly "select *",
> or the table's exact column list, which probably means that it's tied
> to the "physical tlist" optimization that the planner applies in such
> cases. And that likely means it'll stop happening if there are any
> dropped columns, to mention just one non-obvious problem case.
>
> Between that and the fact that OID system columns are going away
> entirely in v12, it's hard to muster any enthusiasm to mess with this.
> I'd suggest explicitly selecting the OID, as you did in your non-failing
> example.
>
> regards, tom lane

PLEASE CONSIDER THE ENVIRONMENT BEFORE PRINTING THIS EMAIL

VERIZON CONNECT CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message is intended for the addressee only and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination, reliance upon or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the addressee is prohibited. If you receive this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message. Thank you.