Re: Implementation of global temporary tables?

From: Zhaomo Yang <zhy001(at)cs(dot)ucsd(dot)edu>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Jim Nasby <Jim(dot)Nasby(at)bluetreble(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Implementation of global temporary tables?
Date: 2015-07-15 13:53:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> there is other question - what is effect of ALTER TABLE of global temp
table on
> instances of this table in active sessions?

As I said, we need to first agree on the behaviors of the existing
commands. I can think of two options now for ALTER TABLE: 1) only allow
ALTER TABLE when there is no other active sessions (this is how Oracle
deals with it.) 2) handle it as if session copies inherit from the global
copy and ALTER TABLE executes on the global copy.

Thanks,
Zhaomo