Re: High Disk write and space taken by PostgreSQL

From: J Ramesh Kumar <rameshj1977(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: David Barton <dave(at)oneit(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: High Disk write and space taken by PostgreSQL
Date: 2012-08-16 04:30:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi David Barton,

Please find the information below.

Are you able to provide a table schema?

There are 109 different types of table. I am maintaining some tables are
daily tables and some tables are ID based. So totally we have created
around 350 tables and dropped around 350 tables. I will drop the old table
and I don't delete any records. I am maintaing only last 30 days tables. I
dropped tables which are older than 30 days. All the tables are only have
basic data types like int, smallint, bigint, varchar.

> Were you using MyISAM or InnoDB on MySQL?

I am using MyISAM tables in MySQL.

What are your indexes? Is the size in the indexes or the database tables?

The size I mentioned is the total folder size of the data directory. There
is no difference in the database schema / index between MySQL and
PostgreSQL.

If you back up the database & restore clean, what is the size comparison of
> the database filed on the restored copy to the existing one?

I don't take backup and restore.

Is there any period where you could try a full vacuum?

Since my app only doing inserts and drops(no delete), I believe the vacuum
will not give any advantage. So I have the below configuration in my
database. Event the updates only performed in a very small table which has
5 int + 1 small int + 1 real fields.

# To avoid freqent autovacuum
autovacuum_freeze_max_age = 2000000000
vacuum_freeze_min_age = 10000000