Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck

From: Scott Carey <scott(at)richrelevance(dot)com>
To: Jeff <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andy <angelflow(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Intel SSDs that may not suck
Date: 2011-04-07 00:05:28
Lists: pgsql-performance

On 3/29/11 7:16 AM, "Jeff" <threshar(at)torgo(dot)978(dot)org> wrote:

>The write degradation could probably be monitored looking at svctime
>from sar. We may be implementing that in the near future to detect
>when this creeps up again.

For the X25-M's, overcommit. Do a secure erase, then only partition and
use 85% or so of the drive (~7% is already hidden). This helps a lot with
the write performance over time. The Intel rep claimed that the new G3's
are much better at limiting the occasional write latency, by splitting
longer delays into slightly more frequent smaller delays.

Some of the benchmark reviews have histograms that demonstrate this
(although the authors of the review only note average latency or
throughput, the deviations have clearly gone down in this generation).

I'll know more for sure after some benchmarking myself.