Re: 4B row limit for CLOB tables

From: Steve Atkins <steve(at)blighty(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 4B row limit for CLOB tables
Date: 2015-01-29 18:41:58
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

On Jan 29, 2015, at 9:53 AM, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On 1/29/15, Roger Pack <rogerdpack2(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> Hello. I see on this page a mention of basically a 4B row limit for
>> tables that have BLOB's
>
> Oops I meant for BYTEA or TEXT columns, but it's possible the
> reasoning is the same...

It only applies to large objects, not bytea or text.

>> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/BinaryFilesInDB

Some of that looks incorrect or out of date. (e.g. large objects can be a lot
bigger than 2GB in 9.3+).

>> Is this fact mentioned in the documentation anywhere? Is there an
>> official source for this? (If not, maybe consider this a feature
>> request to mention it in the documentation on BLOB).
>> Cheers and thanks.
>> -roger

I'm not sure whether it's mentioned explicitly, but large objects are
referenced by an OID, which is a 32 bit value (and a global resource).

If you had 4B BLOBs, though, running out of OIDs would probably be
the least of your worries.

Cheers,
Steve