use a variable name for an insert in a trigger for an audit

From: Raimon Fernandez <coder(at)montx(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general List <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: use a variable name for an insert in a trigger for an audit
Date: 2010-12-09 03:40:13
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-interfaces

Hello,

I have to audit all the changes for all rows of one database.

I have a trigger that executes BEFORE any update or delete, and simply copy the row (INSERT INTO) into the replicated table.

For example, every table has the same name plus '_audit' at the end and belongs to the schema audit:

table public.persons => audit.persons_audit

I don't want to create specific triggers/functions for every table, so I want to modify the table_name in the INSERT INTO, using the TG_TABLE_NAME, but I can't make it working.

Also I can't see a working solution in the archive, and some examples are quite messy to do, so maybe I have to rethink how I'm doing thinks or just create a specific trigger for each table.

Here is my function, and I'm only testing now the INSERT:

DECLARE
tableRemote varchar;
BEGIN

IF TG_TABLE_NAME = 'assentaments' THEN
tableRemote:='audit.'||TG_TABLE_NAME||'_audit';
END IF;

--
-- Create a row in table_audit to reflect the operation performed on emp,
-- make use of the special variable TG_OP to work out the operation.

IF (TG_OP = 'DELETE') THEN
EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO audit.assentaments_audit SELECT CURRVAL(''audit_id_seq''),5, OLD.*';
RETURN OLD;
ELSIF (TG_OP = 'UPDATE') THEN
INSERT INTO tableRemote SELECT CURRVAL('audit.audit_id_seq'),3,OLD.*;
RETURN OLD;
END IF;
RETURN NULL; -- result is ignored since this is an AFTER trigger
END;

thanks,

regards,