Warm Standby log filling up with "FATAL: the database system is starting up" entries

From: "Greg Swisher" <gregs(at)oakhillcorporation(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Warm Standby log filling up with "FATAL: the database system is starting up" entries
Date: 2010-12-01 05:31:10
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Everybody,

I am not a linux expert, but am able to follow well enough documentation and
such that I have been able to get postgresql 9.0.1 up and running on Debian
Lenny in a primary + warm standby configuration, for the most part.

I am successfully sending WAL files to a standby server temp location, and
the standby is able to read the log files after they arrive and process
them. All seems to be working, however I am seeing 2 remaining issues for
which I cannot find an answer. I turn to you!

On the standby server the postgresql.conf file is at pure default. The
recovery.conf file has only the restore_command configured as:

restore_command = '/usr/local/pgsql/bin/pg_standby ­d -s 2 -t
/home/postgres/pgsql/pgsql.trigger /home/postgres/pgsql/backupdata %f %p %r
2>>/usr/local/pgsql/data/standby.log'

The logfile gets these ³FATAL: the database system is starting up² entires
on a regular basis. They are not logged at nearly the frequency that
pg_standby is checking for the WAL files though, according to a comparison
of the log files. I have not found any info on searches about this
phenomena. (probably just don¹t know where to look!)

LOG: database system was shut down in recovery at 2010-11-30 20:53:00 PST
LOG: starting archive recovery
LOG: restored log file "00000001000000000000001A" from archive
LOG: redo starts at 0/1A0000C0
LOG: consistent recovery state reached at 0/1B000000
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
FATAL: the database system is starting up
And on...
And on...
And on...
Forever...

Any suggestions? I don¹t want to just hide them unless they are harmless.
Once I get things stable for awhile I will muck about with the log rotation
and keeping them weeded down to size.

The second issue has to do with pg_standby logging.

If I use the ­d switch, I get lots of good info in the standby.log file, but
I also get a ³WAL file not present yet. Checking for trigger file...² every
time pg_standby checks. I tried removing the ­d but then I get nothing at
all. The documentation doesn¹t indicate what is logged without the ­d
switch. I like getting the detail when a WAL file is found and acted upon,
but I really don¹t want to see pages and pages of status check messages.

Any suggestions here?

Thanks so much!!!!

Greg