Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Feedback on 9.0 release text? Please?
Date: 2010-07-11 21:05:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Josh

I made two changes as outlined below. I have no other issues with it. I
think it reads well.

On 11/7/10 4:11 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> We use the term "update release" to refer to patches and security fixes,
> so I don't think we want to use "update" here.

The repetition is not THAT serious so let's leave the first para as it is.

>> PostgreSQL 9.0 also includes more than a dozen other major improvements
>> enhancing every aspect of <<<building/HUH?>>> database applications,
>> including <<</:>>> 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column
>> triggers, deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event
>> messaging. For a complete list of features, see our release information
>> page (link).
>
> Hmmm. I suppose "building" isn't strictly necessary, and if
> unnecessary, should be cut.

Does this read better?

PostgreSQL 9.0 includes more than a dozen other major improvements that will
enhance every aspect of database application design and performance,
including: 64-bit Windows support, conditional and per-column triggers,
deferrable unique constraints, and high-performance event messaging. For a
complete list of new features, see our release information page (link).

>> Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the
>> world, such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and
>> many others, development and <<<adoption momentum/HUH?>>> is greater
>> than ever.
>
> Yeah, I had trouble with the phrasing there and could use some help.
> What I really wanted to say is that our project momentum, both for
> developing features and for user adoption, is higher/faster than ever.
> Thoughts?
>
> Also, if anyone knows a big-name company who contributed a major feature
> to 9.0 that I'm not thinking of, please mention them now.

I like Evan¹s suggestion for this para:

Thanks to the contributions of developers and companies around the world,
such as NTT Open Source, EnterpriseDB, 2ndQuadrant, Red Hat and many others,
user adoption and development momentum is greater than ever.

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage: www.oncetechnologies.com