Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Please help edit & expand the guide to 9.0
Date: 2010-06-26 15:20:28
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

I made a start on the opening paragraphs.

Here is what I have done so far:

This document showcases many of the latest developments in PostgreSQL 9.0,
compared to the last major release ­ PostgreSQL 8.4. There are more than 200
improvements in this release. While all the important advances are explained
and demonstrated, some of the more esoteric changes are not covered, but
these are unlikely to be known by most users.

Version 9.0, as suggested by its name, is a major step in PostgreSQL's
development. While there are several third party replication solutions
available for PostgreSQL that tackle a variety of problems, this new release
brings a simple, sturdy and integrated version that will probably be used as
a default in most High Availability installations using PostgreSQL.

Changes are arranged in four chapters:

* The two news features you can't ignore
* Other new features
* Potential issues when upgrading existing systems
* Other improvements

One problem I have is that I think it needs a change to the heading. But I
don¹t see how I can do that without deleting and re-creating the page.

I think the heading should be changed to:

³What¹s new in PostgreSQL 9.0²

Or something like that.

Any suggestions and feedback on my editing thus far would be much
appreciated.

On 26/6/10 3:50 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Marc Cousins has translated his extensive guide to 9.0 from French to
> English. Please help edit and expand this guide so that it can be read
> for 9.0 release:
>
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Illustrated_9_0
>
> Particularly, a lot of the items towards the bottom really need
> explanations and examples.
>
> (and Marc, BTW, your English is excellent ... better than many Americans)

Regards

Rob Napier

homepage: www.oncetechnologies.com