setting up a client only service

From: Tena Sakai <tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu>
To: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: setting up a client only service
Date: 2009-11-30 21:44:21
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi everybody,

I have postgres (v8.3.7) running happily on a Linux machine,
named X. I want to access the database on X from another
linux machine, called Y, on the same network. X is a 64-bit
Machine and runs redhat, while Y is a 32-bit machine with
centOS. My idea is to have only psql on machine Y and have
Y's PGHOST environmental variable point to X.

Is this correct? If so, where can I go to get psql only for
A 32-bit linux machine?

If not, please clue me in as to how I can do what I want.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Tena Sakai
tsakai(at)gallo(dot)ucsf(dot)edu