Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases

From: Rob Napier <rob(at)doitonce(dot)net(dot)au>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Forrester: Ingres and MySQL Lead Open Source Databases
Date: 2009-08-20 03:08:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

FMTCW

Below is an email I received a couple of days ago from one of the best-known
US PR distribution companies.

The software promoted in this email is interesting in that it draws
attention to one of the problems involved with doing PR well.

I agree with the principal that it needs to be led by a professional, not
volunteers. The actual distribution and local content scouting might be done
by volunteers but the core PR strategy needs someone who can string an
effective message together. From my observation, that is an essential skill
that is not common.

Handling PR well is as difficult as designing databases well. If we want
great PR, it needs to be regular, well written, relevant, interesting,
timely and of public interest. There are people who could take on this work
who could be quite affordable. Certainly, the value would justify the
investment.

Rob Napier