Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?

From: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Sam Mason <sam(at)samason(dot)me(dot)uk>, <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Are there plans to add data compression feature to postgresql?
Date: 2008-11-03 22:26:49
Lists: pgsql-general

> It doesn't matter that much, anyway, in that deflate would also do the
> job quite well for any sort of site-to-site or user-to-site WAN link.

I used to use that, then switched to bzip. Thing is, if your client is
really just issuing SQL, how much does it matter? Compression can't help
with latency. Which is why I went with 3 tiers, so that all communication
with Postgres occurs on the server, and all communication between server &
client is binary, compressed, and a single request/response per user request
regardless of how many tables the data is pulled from.

--
Scott Ribe
scott_ribe(at)killerbytes(dot)com